Author Topic: Considering a CSV - question  (Read 8586 times)

IanInCo

• View Profile
Considering a CSV - question
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
I just had a new pump installed.  The old 1 1/2 HP Red Jacket finally burned out after 18 years.  Replaced it with a 1 1/2 HP Stainless Steel Franklin Electric.

Well is 400' deep, pump sits at 360ish and static water is 250ish.

I watched them pull the old one out and I noticed the 1" PVC that is in there is rated I believe for 125 psi.

If that's the case and I put in a CSV, wouldn't the back pressure exceed that rating when I'm running say a sink or flushing the toilet?  The last thing I want is a burst line 300' down.  I'm already out $2,000 for the new pump and labor.

Is my concern valid when using a CSV?

Thanks for any info.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Considering a CSV - question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »
I just had a new pump installed.  The old 1 1/2 HP Red Jacket finally burned out after 18 years.  Replaced it with a 1 1/2 HP Stainless Steel Franklin Electric.

Well is 400' deep, pump sits at 360ish and static water is 250ish.

I watched them pull the old one out and I noticed the 1" PVC that is in there is rated I believe for 125 psi.

If that's the case and I put in a CSV, wouldn't the back pressure exceed that rating when I'm running say a sink or flushing the toilet?  The last thing I want is a burst line 300' down.  I'm already out $2,000 for the new pump and labor.

Is my concern valid when using a CSV?

Thanks for any info.

This can’t be right.  I guess it is possible that your pump man screwed up and used 125 PSI pipe in that well, but I doubt it.  Assuming you have a 10 GPM series, 1.5 HP pump the pressure from just being set at 360’ is the same as 155 PSI, then add the 60 PSI that the pump will build before the pressure switch shuts it off and you have a total of 215 PSI on the bottom joint of pipe. That is 215 PSI with the old style pressure tank only system, so the pipe needs to be rated for more than that.

Now adding a CSV will put more pressure on that pipe.  But the 10 GPM series pump can only build 251 PSI total, even against a closed valve.  So there is only 36 PSI more pressure on the pipe when using a CSV than when not using a CSV.

I think what you saw was 1” SCH 120 on the pipe.  That is much more common for drop pipe, and is what your well needs because of the depth.  SCH 120 pipe has a rating of 360 PSI.  On top of that the burst pressure of any plastic pipe is usually 2 to 5 times the working pressure rating of the pipe.

Pressure rating of the pipe is important when using a CSV, but isn’t as much of a problem as you would think.  Drop pipe has never been an issue with a CSV because as stated above, it has to be strong enough to handle the depth and pressure of the pump anyway.  The CSV doesn’t usually add much pressure to the drop pipe.

The pipe from the wellhead to the CSV is usually more of a concern than the drop pipe.  But you can subtract the static water level from the total pressure the pump can build, because it has to lift this much to get water to the surface, so you don’t see that much pressure on the underground pipe.  In your case, if I am right about the 10 GPM series pump, your underground pipe before the CSV will see up to 142 PSI.  Even SCH 40 PVC or 160# poly is rated for more than this, so you should not have a problem.

You are smart to ask this question as it is one of the only concerns when using a CSV on such a deep set pump.  But once you see that your pipe is rated high enough to handle the pressure, you should realize the extra backpressure from the CSV is good for the pump.  The extra backpressure from the CSV is what keeps the pump from cycling itself to death.  The CSV puts just enough backpressure on the pump to make it pump exactly the amount of water you are using, so the pump is not cycling on and off while you are using water at any flow rate.  And that is the best thing for the pump.

Also the CSV eliminates water hammer from the pump starting and stopping.  Water hammer happens in a fraction of a second, but can be 10 times the pressure that the pump can build.  A water hammer “thump” when the pump starts or stops with the old conventional tank only system can cause a pulse of 2500 PSI on your pipe.  So not only is the backpressure from a CSV a good thing for the pump, but it is also good for the pipe.  The CSV makes the pipe see a max pressure of  251 PSI with that 10 GPM pump, but that is much better for the pipe than water hammer pulses of 2500 PSI from an old conventional pressure tank system cycling on and off.

To sum it all up, if that is 125 PSI pipe in the well you will have problems even without a CSV.  But if it is Schedule 120 as it should be, then backpressure from a CSV is not the problem, it is the solution.

IanInCo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
That makes more sense.  I had just glanced at it and it was probably sch 120 but when recalling it I was thinking psi.  I'll call them on mon to verify.  Same company that drilled it so they should have records.

One more thing that's interesting since the new pump was put in; and yes I believe it's the 12 gpm series, is now after say flushing the toilet it sounds like someone's doing a drum solo for about 15 seconds in the basement on the pipes.  That never happened before.  Ghost or water hammer?  Also the pressure tank is circa 1971 from montgomery wards.  I was going to check the pressure and when I unscrewed to valve cap water was dripping out of it.

So if I get a CSV I can get a smaller tank right?  Is there any harm getting a  bigger tank?  I did the math and normal size is about 80 gallons.  I would have peace of mind knowing I have some reserve in the tank if the power went out.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »
No harm in getting a larger tank except for your wallet.  But an 80 gallon tank only holds 20 gallons of water.

If you want piece of mind when the power goes off, put a couple of 5 gallon water jugs in the closet.  Four of them would have the same amount as an 80 gallon pressure tank.  The reason is because you can’t count on that tank having 20 gallons in it when the power goes off.

It is Murphy’s law at its best.  With a 40/60 pressure switch, the pump doesn’t start and refill the pressure tank until the pressure gets down to 40 PSI.  There is absolutely no water in a properly charged pressure tank below 40 PSI.  So when you brush your teeth before bed, the pressure in the tank could drop to 41 PSI and the pump will not come on until 40.  So during the night when the power goes off, you have maybe 2 gallons left in the pressure tank.  Unless you go out and look at your pressure gauge, you will never know how much is in the tank.  At 60 PSI you would have 20 gallons, but at 50 PSI you only have 10 gallons, and at 41 PSI maybe 2 gallons is all you have left.

So piece of mind to me is a couple of 5 gallon jugs in the closet, and a generator in the shed in case the power is out for a long time.

Your pump system will work fine, and in my opinion even better with the CSV and a 4.5 gallon tank that holds 1 gallon of water.  The difference you save on the 80 gallon tank would nearly buy you a generator.  Then with a little gas saved up, you can have real piece of mind.

See this link to a thread that explains how the CSV and small tank compares to a big tank without a CSV.  http://cyclestopvalves.com/smf/index.php?topic=1896.0

Oh and that drumming noise is probably because the bladder in your tank is bad and you have too much pressure in the tank.  Water gets on top of the bladder and the bladder bounces off the bottom of the tank, making a thumping noise until the pressure increase above the pre-charge pressure of the tank.

Water coming out of the tanks Schrader valve is a definite clue that you need another tank.  No better time than now to get a Pside-Kick kit with the CSV1A valve and the 4.5 gallon size tank.  $399 includes freight on the kit and it easily replaces 80 gallon size tanks.  See this video on how that done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrJ9AAe7GM

mroland72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
I'm also considering installing a CSV (actually already purchased CSV1A)  Anyway... My existing setup is a 400ft well with a Goulds 1hp 7gpm pump set at approximately 375ft.  This pump has recently given up and I've ordered a Myers 1hp 8gpm pump.  This is a low yield well producing under a gallon a minute.  The water level can vary from 325ft to dry depending on how hard it's used.  I can only think of two instances in 14 years that we've run it dry.  The Myers pump model number is 2NFL102-8-P4.  I guess my question is that there will be 160 PSI poly pipe in place and with the water level varying so much would there be too much backpressure created by the CSV for the pipe.  Thanks for any info.

Mike

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:57:04 AM »
Just being set at 375' means your pipe is seeing 162 PSI.  That 8 GPM, 1HP can build 207 PSI, which is what the pipe will see with a CSV attached.  This is OK because the burst pressure of that pipe is 2 to 5 times the rated pressure. 

I think your real problem is if the well pulls down to 375', the pump can only build 45 PSI and won't be able to reach the pressure switch off at 50 or 60 PSI.  Even with a water level of 325' that pump can only build 67 PSI, which really to close to run a 40/60 pressure switch.

mroland72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  The 7GPM 1HP Goulds kept up pretty well with the 40/60 setting so I'm hoping the 8GPM Myers will come close.  I just couldn't justify the extra $200 for the Goulds.  I have another well at 500ft and also have a 7GPM 1HP Goulds installed there as well.  When the 400ft hole was drilled they said there wouldn't be enough water.  Said it was under 1GPM.  The drilled the 500ft well they said it was less than the 400.  I use the 500ft for the outside spigots and only when there are problems with the 400ft well.  I can run it dry in a couple of hours watering the yard.  I have low pressure switches on both wells to minimize the chance of pump damage when they run dry.

Thanks again,
Mike

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »
The 7 GPM will work from quite a bit deeper than the 8 GPM pump.