Author Topic: How do you verify that a Symcom or Pumtec will shut off pump when well is dry?  (Read 2953 times)

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Quote from: ;408150
  Other than running calibration on the Symcom, I am at a loss of how to verify if the Symcom would shut off if the pump ran dry.
I have been out working near the well (for the full day) - and, while there, I could hear the water going into the storage tank.  How can you verify a situation that hasn't occurred?

You literally have to let the well pump dry while you are watching it, and hopefully have an amp meter clipped around one of the hot wires, so you can see what is happening.  Then if the Symcom shuts off the pump when the amps drop about 50%, it is doing its job.  Unfortunately when you install a 3 GPM flow restrictor the amps will probably drop about 30%, and the Symcom will shut the pump off even though the well is not dry.  That is why the Cycle Sensor, described above, can work with a valve.  The Cycle Sensor display IS am amp meter.  You can see the difference between the amp draw at restricted flow as compared to no flow.  Then you adjust the “current adjust” feature of the Cycle Sensor between these two numbers.  That way the Cycle Sensor lets the pump run continuously when the flow is restricted, but will still shut off the pump if the well runs dry.