Author Topic: Is running pump continuously better than filling pressure tank few times a day?  (Read 4489 times)

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Quote from: ;408150
  I'll look at the link on CSV, but I'm not as concerned with the booster pump as it has continued to work well the entire 20+ years - I have a low level setting on the storage tank, to protect the booster, and for most days, the pump will only come on a few times a day to fill the pressurizer tanks.

The low level shut off in the storage tank is a good idea.  And “booster type” pumps will take more cycling than a submersible because of there air cooled motor and larger diameter design.  But cycling is still not a good thing for them and it causes wide variations in pressure in the house.  Yes the booster pump will run longer periods of time when used with a CSV than when filling and draining a large pressure tank.  But as discussed earlier the “load” is reduced, so running continuously while restricted, adds very little to the electric bill.  What running continuously does is make the pressure in the house hold steady at a constant 50 PSI, instead of sometimes being at 40 and other times being at 60, depending on the level in the pressure tank.  Running continuously will also make the pump, pressure tank, pressure switch, check valve, and everything else in the system last longer.  And don’t be confused, the CSV will only make the pump run continuously WHILE you are using water.  If no water is being used the pump is shut off as usual.