Author Topic: CSV on a weak well?  (Read 2445 times)

CurtisT

• View Profile
CSV on a weak well?
« on: September 03, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
My house has a very weak well.  Currently has a 45gal pressure tank set at 50/30 (13.9gal drawdown).  We run out of water everyday.  The pump will take about 20 minutes to fill the pressure tank back up.  The pump runs for about 2.5 minutes then shuts off for 1.5 minutes, then runs for 2.5 minutes, etc... until the tank is full.  It takes about 5 pump cycles to recover the 13.9 gallons.  If my math is right our well holds less than 3 gallons of water at a time, but will recover it in the 1.5 minutes the well isn't running.

Would a CSV be OK to add in this application? 
Would it help with my lack of water?

Thanks,
Curtis

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV on a weak well?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »
A CSV isn't going to help with a weak well.  And a larger pressure tank is just seen as an additional demand for the well to supply.  What you need is a storage tank or cistern.  If your well makes 13.9 gallons is 20 minutes, that is about 1000 gallons per day.  You just need a large enough storage tank to supply the house for a day or two. Then the well can pump every few minutes all day long to supply the stored water.

Then you can use a CSV on the booster pump that pumps out of the storage tank to the house.  You will have a 1000 or more gallons of water stored, so you can have as much as you want.  You could even supply one of those multi-head, multi-GPM showers if you wanted.

1000 gallons per day is enough to supply 3 or more houses.  You just have to store it up over the long term, to be able to use as much as you want for short terms.