Author Topic: Help replacing 85 gal pressure tank with psidekick  (Read 2959 times)

Kart#22

• View Profile
Help replacing 85 gal pressure tank with psidekick
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:15:53 AM »
So I'm looking at replacing my 19 year old 85 gal pressure tank with a pside-kick, and I'm just looking for confirmation on what I need.  According to the receipt from 1949 when the well was drilled, its 95 ft deep, 28 ft to limestone, and 35 ft to water.  I have Red Jacket 3/4 hp pump installed in 1998 (CNS12BC) which is set at 70 ft (35 ft of head) which should deliver 12 GPM at 50 PSI.  Pump shut-off pressure is 156 PSI.  So I should be good with the CSV1A that comes with the pside-kick?  Also, I gather that I don't need to install a flow inducer on the pump?  And should I eliminate my pressure safety cut-off switch since the pside-kick comes with a PRV?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:31:33 AM by Kart#22 »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Help replacing 85 gal pressure tank with psidekick
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:12:32 PM »
The PK1A will work great with that pump.  And if you have never had a flow inducer in all that time you don't need one now. 

The low pressure cut off switch cuts the pump off if the pressure gets too low.  The pressure relief valve in the PK1A dumps water if the pressure gets too high.  They do different things.  The Cycle Sensor would protect the pump from running dry, which does a better job than a low pressure switch.

Kart#22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 02:08:03 PM »
According to the label its actually a high pressure switch :) with a cut off pressure of 75PSI.  The current setup doesn't seem to have a PRV (unless it could be on the poly down pipe.) so assume the high pressure switch is used in place of a PRV.  So should I eliminate it when I install a PRV or should I just leave it?  Of course I would have to add another Tee to your kit to keep it.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »
A  high pressure switch would need to have some kind of reset button on it.  If it does that will work. The pressure relief valve is really all you need, but it won't hurt to have both.